Early Literacy Professional Learning
The 2018-19 Foundations of Early Literacy professional learning will occur primarily at the school level. This approach is based on feedback from teachers, school leaders and other school-based staff.
- Early literacy professional learning will continue to focus on targeted Tier 1 and small group instruction, while adding strategic Tier 2 and 3 instruction for struggling readers. The theme of the 2018-19 professional learning is Closing Gaps in Literacy.
- Schools received a menu of session options for summer early literacy professional learning in early spring. Session options were developed based on input from school and network leaders, Early Literacy Specialists and teachers as well as early literacy data. Based on feedback, multiple sessions have been grouped together as a “strand of learning” in order to bring a cohesive and integrated learning experience. For example, schools may engage with a strand of learning focused on Intermediate Writing or Primary Academic Language.
- Instructional Leadership Teams (ILTs) will determine which sessions best meet school-level early literacy needs. Early Literacy Specialists will attend the school’s selected sessions during three days of professional learning in either June or August. Early Literacy Specialists can also attend sessions to develop their leadership capacity as part of the Leading in Literacy strand.
- Early Literacy Specialists will deliver professional learning at their schools. Timing and content of sessions will be determined by the ILT in alignment with the school’s professional learning plan.
- Kindergarten-3rd grade educators new to the district in the 2018-19 school year will engage with Foundations of Early Literacy Year 1 content during New Teacher Institute.
Check back for more updates soon!