Early Literacy Professional Learning
The 2017 Foundations of Early Literacy professional learning will occur primarily at the school level. This approach is based on feedback from teachers, school leaders and other school-based staff.
- Early literacy professional learning will focus on targeted Tier 1 and small group instruction.
- Schools will receive a menu of session options for summer early literacy professional learning in early spring. Session options are being developed based on input from school leaders, Early Literacy Specialists and teachers as well as early literacy data.
- Instructional Leadership Teams (ILTs) will determine which sessions best meet school-level early literacy needs. Early Literacy Specialists will attend the school’s selected sessions during two days of professional learning on July 18-19. These sessions are intended for Early Literacy Specialists only.
- Early Literacy Specialists will deliver professional learning at their schools. Timing and content of sessions will be determined by the ILT in alignment with the school’s professional learning plan.
- ECE-3rd grade educators new to the district in the 2017-18 school year will engage with Foundations of Early Literacy Year 1 content during New Teacher Institute.
- K-5 educators in schools that have opted-in to the district-supported literacy curriculum will have the opportunity to attend curriculum-based summer professional learning.
Check back for more updates soon!